Why worry?
Lately, I've been sifting through journaling from days gone by and dusted off this entry dated four years ago:
I'd thought I was doing a good job of covering up the worry. Despite my stomach feeling like it was on a spin cycle, I had smiled and started to say goodnight until a strong hand, placed gently on my shoulder, stopped me.
The same hand that God had formed in my womb, that I'd held tightly while crossing a busy intersection, that had bravely waved goodbye on his first day of kindergarten now, almost twice the size of mine, redirected my attention.
Standing before his six-foot-something frame, I lifted my eyes to look into his. A young man of very few words, he cleared his throat and spoke with profound wisdom. “I’m not gonna stop doing what I'm doing just ‘cause you worry, Mom.”
He was right. I knew it then and still know it but even though worrying is a waste of energy it often seems my first response to trouble. I need help in the rewiring of my mind...
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." Paul to the Philippians
I'd thought I was doing a good job of covering up the worry. Despite my stomach feeling like it was on a spin cycle, I had smiled and started to say goodnight until a strong hand, placed gently on my shoulder, stopped me.
The same hand that God had formed in my womb, that I'd held tightly while crossing a busy intersection, that had bravely waved goodbye on his first day of kindergarten now, almost twice the size of mine, redirected my attention.
Standing before his six-foot-something frame, I lifted my eyes to look into his. A young man of very few words, he cleared his throat and spoke with profound wisdom. “I’m not gonna stop doing what I'm doing just ‘cause you worry, Mom.”
He was right. I knew it then and still know it but even though worrying is a waste of energy it often seems my first response to trouble. I need help in the rewiring of my mind...
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." Paul to the Philippians


2 Comments:
At October 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM ,
Linda said...
Bonnie you are so amazing! Your words brought tears to my eyes this morning, just when I thought I had none left. What a gift you have, your words are filled with such meaning and love. Thank you for sharing this precious gift with all of us. (I'm trying not to worry but it's so hard to see your own child in such a war zone) Luv ya
At November 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM ,
Bonnie Derksen said...
I agree with you Linda. There are so many hard things we must stand by and watch our kids go through. This is why worry must quickly turn to prayer. God changes situations through our conversations with Him.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home