Meditations
Where do you find sanctuary?
Merriam-Webster's online dictionary has, as one of its entries, regarding "sanctuary" this definition: 2 a (1): a place of refuge and protection.
I was asked recently what that place might look like for me. I took a few minutes to reflect on my answer. I wanted to word it adequately, but also take full advantage of the exercise.
Certainly over the last many years I have needed and, thankfully, found such a place. Life is comprised of twists and turns and our reactions/responses to them. In the midst, as I've sought to make sense of it all and then re-stabilize a safe place became by necessity, my lifeline.
The very cool thing is my "sanctuary" does not negate yours(and vice versa) if they are different from each other. As our Creator seeks to connect with us, His creations, He will do so as He has uniquiely wired us in order that we will have optimum communication with Him.
As always, I can learn from you, as you from me, so I ask again... "Where do you find sanctuary?" and here, then, is my answer...
I've discovered finding sanctuary with God is not so much about the place I'm in but the place I'm at.
Sure, I love the back corner of our maturing garden, sitting on the swing with the birds as a backdrop to my commune with the Lord. Or, nestled into the soft folds of a favorite couch in our softly-lit bedroom, quiet worship music setting the stage for conversation between Jesus and I. Or another still, hiking to a rocky hilltop behind our property, overlooking the valley God has brought us to and filled us with love for.
These are all great sanctuaries; secret places where I can come apart, quietly contemplating all the goodness of my Creator.
This busy season of life, however, doesn't always permit regular getaways to these places.
Fortunately, God has shown me "sanctuary" with Him, no matter where I am.
"Eyes forward, child," He beckons, drawing the eyes of my heart from outward circumstances. In those moments, it's my Savior and I, in the sanctuary of my heart, communing as lovers do. The Spirit of the Lord surfaces Truth renewing my mind, refreshing my spirit and comforting my busy heart.
Often there's a brief struggle as I determine to take my focus off my surroundings and circumstances, placing it on the Lord. It calls for willfully pushing the distractions to the peripheral.
But always, God's mercies are faithful and true and sufficient for the moment.
I look forward to reading your response,
Just sign me,
A fellow sanctuary-seeker
Merriam-Webster's online dictionary has, as one of its entries, regarding "sanctuary" this definition: 2 a (1): a place of refuge and protection.
I was asked recently what that place might look like for me. I took a few minutes to reflect on my answer. I wanted to word it adequately, but also take full advantage of the exercise.
Certainly over the last many years I have needed and, thankfully, found such a place. Life is comprised of twists and turns and our reactions/responses to them. In the midst, as I've sought to make sense of it all and then re-stabilize a safe place became by necessity, my lifeline.
The very cool thing is my "sanctuary" does not negate yours(and vice versa) if they are different from each other. As our Creator seeks to connect with us, His creations, He will do so as He has uniquiely wired us in order that we will have optimum communication with Him.
As always, I can learn from you, as you from me, so I ask again... "Where do you find sanctuary?" and here, then, is my answer...
I've discovered finding sanctuary with God is not so much about the place I'm in but the place I'm at.
Sure, I love the back corner of our maturing garden, sitting on the swing with the birds as a backdrop to my commune with the Lord. Or, nestled into the soft folds of a favorite couch in our softly-lit bedroom, quiet worship music setting the stage for conversation between Jesus and I. Or another still, hiking to a rocky hilltop behind our property, overlooking the valley God has brought us to and filled us with love for.
These are all great sanctuaries; secret places where I can come apart, quietly contemplating all the goodness of my Creator.
This busy season of life, however, doesn't always permit regular getaways to these places.
Fortunately, God has shown me "sanctuary" with Him, no matter where I am.
"Eyes forward, child," He beckons, drawing the eyes of my heart from outward circumstances. In those moments, it's my Savior and I, in the sanctuary of my heart, communing as lovers do. The Spirit of the Lord surfaces Truth renewing my mind, refreshing my spirit and comforting my busy heart.
Often there's a brief struggle as I determine to take my focus off my surroundings and circumstances, placing it on the Lord. It calls for willfully pushing the distractions to the peripheral.
But always, God's mercies are faithful and true and sufficient for the moment.
I look forward to reading your response,
Just sign me,
A fellow sanctuary-seeker


3 Comments:
At June 17, 2007 at 10:51 PM ,
Lesley-Anne Evans said...
Hey, what an exciting thing this is for you to have a BLOG!!! I also have very little understanding of how these things work, but will enjoy figuring it out with you. Will you be posting every day? I created a blog a while ago, but couldn't figure out how to make it accessible to others... so it's out there in virtual land somewhere??? I loved seeing your picture, and learning a little more about you - like the fact that we are the same age. We really do have to get together soon.
Your fellow faith writer,
Lesley-Anne
At June 18, 2007 at 6:37 AM ,
Corinne said...
Thanks for letting me know you have a blog (what a strange name!). I look forward to communicating with you though it and gaining new insights. Sanctuary--quite a topic. I guess I've always thought of santuary as a place of rest. I've found that sanctuary cannot always be found in those solitary times because my mind continues to whirl around my day, my week, my year. Perhaps it does not come naturally but there is an element of discipline involved. I like your comment about keeping eyes forward, though.
Love the pic of you in your garden; you look wonderful!
Until next time,
Corinne
At June 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM ,
Anonymous said...
BLess you!
"sanctuary" for me is the 30 centimeters between my heart and my mind. It is not found in either anchor spots, but in the vast space between which always speaks volumes.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home